Friday 5 August 2016

5. Cryptic Crosswords -One word inside another

For Blaugust this year I decided to publish a series of cryptic crossword posts.
I'm aiming for one a day. Unfortunately for some of the time I will be camping, so I hope to manage this, but it might get a bit tricky if I have no internet access.

Many of our friends over the years have said that cryptic crosswords don't make sense. They certainly do play with your mind, and that is why I take delight in them.  I love the surprising discovery inside a puzzle and the challenge of twisting the usual thought patterns and making them do something different.

So here is today's offering...

You should be able to see an indicator of the fact that one is inside another- like

  •  In
  •  Around
  • Covering


Now butt is kept in shot (6) 
If you figure our the straight clue that always helps. In this case it is Now.
You might pick the indicator , (kept in) . If you pick this up first it helps you to pick which is the straight part of the clue, and which is the cryptic part.
So now you know that you want to take something that means "butt" and put it inside of something that means "shot". Since this is only a six letter word, these two will both need to be very short words.
So I figure our that shot =try
Now I am looking for a word which starts with t or tr and ends with y or ry.
Now what could that be.? And it means "now"
I think more about "butt" and realize that butt=end
And I have my answer...
TRENDY!

Here is another for you that is a little more complicated.

Extremely accommodating with boundless truth (6) Advertiser 8/2/16
Extremely=very
Accommodating shows that the letters of very need to surround something else
With boundless shows that you need to take the outside off of "with" to give "it"
Now put "it" inside of "very" and you get verity
Truth (the straight clue) =verity

Indicators are

  • In
  • Around
  • Surrounding
  • Incorporates
  • Accommodating
  • About
  • Inside
  • Wrapped around

No comments:

Post a Comment