Sunday 21 August 2016

21 Cryptic Crosswords - Heraldry

For Blaugust this year I decided to publish a series of cryptic crossword posts.
I'm aiming for one a day.

Many of our friends over the years have said that cryptic crosswords don't make sense. They certainly do play with your mind, and that is why I take delight in them.  I love the surprising discovery inside a puzzle and the challenge of twisting the usual thought patterns and making them do something different.

So here is today's offering...

Believe it or not, heraldry offers some assistance to the cryptic crossword setter too.

Heraldry have their own terminology
And it includes the following:

Gold=Or (this is by far the most common use of heraldry terms-so learn this one well).
Silver or white= Argent

Azure=blue
Gules=red
Purpure=purple
Sable=black
And
Vert=green

I've tried to learn these, and some have stuck in my head, but others haven't.
I hope you have more success.

No comments:

Post a Comment