Tuesday 16 August 2016

16 Cryptic Crosswords - It helps to know a bit about cricket

For Blaugust this year I decided to publish a series of cryptic crossword posts.
I'm aiming for one a day

Many of our friends over the years have said that cryptic crosswords don't make sense. They certainly do play with your mind, and that is why I take delight in them.  I love the surprising discovery inside a puzzle and the challenge of twisting the usual thought patterns and making them do something different.

So here is today's offering...

Sometimes a crossword compiler will use cricket scoring abbreviations.

If you watch the cricket you will see basic ones on a scoreboard
Runs =r
Wickets =w
Overs =o

But there may also be

Batting =in
Duck =0=o
I'm sure there are others that I can't think of right now.

It's worth developing a love for (or at least learning some basics) of this wonderful sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment