Friday 24 June 2016

Winter

We are going through a bit of cold winter weather at the moment.



Here, in Australia, winter occurs in June, July and August.  We have just passed the shortest day (the winter solstice is the 21st of June). The deciduous trees are losing (or have lost) their leaves, and the hours of daylight are greatly reduced right now.   I get up in the dark in the morning just before 7am, and walk home at 5pm in the fading light just after sunset. I listen to the rain on the roof, and feel thankful for being inside in the warmth.

It is winter, so it's not really surprising that it is cold and wet.  Maybe my perspective has changed because I have loved ones living in the UK at the moment, but I don't seem to be feeling that this weather it is too hard to take. In fact I keep on walking in it and thinking how lucky we are that this is as bad as it gets.

I remember being over in Europe myself this time last year in the summer time, where we stood through a day of bone-chilling rain in Sweden at an orienteering event (when we weren't trying to keep our shoes on our feet as we waded through the bogs on our courses) , and got soaked in torrential rain in Cornwall. And I understand why people migrate from there to Australia for the sunshine. We have just so much of it.

I'm lucky to live close to the coast in South Australia. I'm one of the fortunate majority who live in the temperate weather zone. I used to think it was not very temperate, but these days I appreciate it's nature more somehow. The blue area on the map below is the temperate zone (thanks to the Bureau of Meteorology for the map). If you looked at a coloured map of the population density the blue area would also pretty much reflect the majority of that as well. You would have to extend it up the East coast a bit for the sun-loving Queenslanders who don't mind a bit of humidity.


Some people love the sticky warmth of the north eastern tropical and subtropical areas (pale and dark green) , but personally I can't stand being sweaty without reprieve , let alone the cyclones and dampness.

The inland desert areas (orange) have a special beauty, with the red soil and wide horizons of startling blue sky, but the heat and lack of water makes them a tough place to live for anyone. 

The yellow areas I could compromise on, but it would be nowhere near as comfortable, with times of drought a constant risk, and extremes of temperature so much more, without the soothing weather effect of the sea nearby.

So I'm appreciating the pretty colours of the leaves, the warm fire at night time, and the fact that I have a cosy home to shelter in and a warm husband to cuddle up to. I'm also appreciating that I live in such a wonderful spot in the world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment