Saturday 26 September 2015

Victorian middle distance

We woke to a beautiful sunny  day with cloudless blue skies and crispy cool weather.
It was a great chance for a sleep in, after a night of tossing and turning.
The bruising on the foot has come out some more,but it is fine to walk on, so I'm going with the idea of strapping and hoping.
I will take the ice with me and be ready to RICE afterwards.
An exchange of messages this morning with Kate was a good reminder to me of what I need to focus on, and was good for me, because I've got nervous butterflies this  morning too, but I'm so excited to be heading out to a big event again too. How on earth did I develop in such a way that I enjoy this sport so much that I just can't wait to be out there?? I guess it is the combination of competition and puzzle that I love so much...if only I was a better runner ...☺
This is a part of the old version of today's map.  I'm sitting looking at it and trying to get y head in to what it will be like out there.   I  am picturing the bush in the white areas as scraggly gums which I can run around with some wood fallen on the ground and some uneven ground. I'm struggling with that area on the western side which is flatter. I'm owing that the Swedish experience with little dips and spurs will help us in this terrain.

The rest of the household are starting to rouse now-so I think it will be an eggs and bacon morning starting soon, and I've already got my Orienteering (O) bag packed and ready to go except for the ice and shoes. The pins are on my chest number so that I don't have to search for them later on. That's pretty much all I can do now except rehearse my control procedure and picture myself going through the motions of the start and then running over this terrain.

Today I will be focusing on planning from the control back..
what is the control on? (And where)
What is my   best attack point?
Break up small legs to get there and do them carefully
Keep in touch with the map at all times.
I will only check the control number on the way in to the circle as I know I won't remember it longer than that.

Post event debrief
Lesson for the day: stick to the plan and do not move from it.
On the one control where I had a bad  attack point I stuffed up and wasted about 15 minuses.  I'm not sure how many places this would have saved me and I don't really care.

The course for today (course 10-W50A)


Just while I am thinking of it-I had forgotten to check which course number my course was.  This is something which is worth knowing. I will write my courses on my start number so that I have them from now on. I had to line up and find the info at the start area.

We needed to park and walk to the assembly area.  There was a handy oval used for this purpose. 


In an unusual situation we actually had to walk past the track to the start on our way to the assembly area.


We also saw a huge area of gorse with yellow flowers which was a warning of the prickly green areas to come later.



There were only 4 toilets at the assembly area which meant a fair old line up and wait but I managed to get to the start area with about 12 minutes to spare.



8 to 9 was my nemesis leg that took me 22 minutes.  
I chose to go right around the open area (which has steep cliffs as I wanted to avoid the green on the other side of it.
I then chose to attack from the track  bend rather than going to the obvious high point opposite the control on the track. This meant that I went wrong and wasted a lot of time.

Eventually I went back to the track junction and navigated to the high point , then in to the Control without problems.

Anyway-tomorrow is another day, and we have to get to bed soon, so I will just give you a treat of a view of some of the other SA runners who were competing.

Chis Franklin, Geoff Dinning, Frank Tomas, Peter Kreminski, Al Sankauskas














No comments:

Post a Comment